Customized Therapeutic Activity Kits
Therapeutic Activity Kits are a collection of engagement tools created by our therapeutic activity specialists with each client’s interests, life history, and abilities in mind. Activities are researched for success prior to recommendation and every customized kit includes easy-to-use materials and detailed instructions that make the activities come alive.
Kit activities might include projects such as:
- Creative expression using geometric coloring books or oil pastels
- Art appreciation using prints featuring works at the Louvre or MoMA
- Bird watching using plush, singing birds as a tactile element
- Sensory stimulation and relaxation using lavender hand cream
- Armchair travel using postcards of destinations from around the world
- Intellectually stimulating “brain fitness” exercises or cards to promote lifelong learning on history and culture
A therapeutic activity specialist can personally deliver your customized Therapeutic Activity Kit, along with suggested adaptations for variety or to accommodate changing physical or cognitive abilities. Therapeutic activity specialists and supervisors are also available to train care providers and family members how to best use the kit, and for ongoing idea generation and support. Please schedule a free consultation to learn more about therapeutic activity kits!
Sensory Kits are designed to stimulate clients who have functional limitations, but who will still benefit from the attention and engagement of sensory stimulation. They’re also an important non-medication remedy to the agitation, boredom, and frustration often experienced by older adults who need long-term care.
As with our Therapeutic Activity Kits, Sensory Kits have been created by uniquely experienced Hummingbird therapeutic activity specialists and come with interesting, soothing, and often unexpected materials that have a range of sounds, visuals, tastes, and textures. Detailed instructions are included so you can figure out step-by-step how the activity will work best for your loved one/client.
Some examples of Sensory Kit activities include:
- Holding and rubbing worry stones
- Beating or listening to a buffalo drum
- Taste testing different chocolates or teas
- Using essential oils and seeing how they affect mood
- Immersive art materials
Depending on our client’s specific situation, a therapeutic activity specialist might deliver a sensory kit and use it with the client during a session, or model the activities for care providers or family members to use with their loved one/client at any time they want to provide stimulation or ease agitation. We see agitation as a sign of an unmet need, so this is often a time that we’ll introduce Sensory Kits to address the agitation, increase comfort, and help restore well-being. Please schedule a free consultation to learn more about therapeutic sensory activity kits!